top of page


At L. A. Bryson & Company, our team of experienced accountants are committed to providing every client with quality tax valuation and filing services.


We're your local tax experts providing a full range of tax preparation and filing options.

With over 20 years of tax filing, accounting, payroll and bookkeeping experience,

we have built a reputation for our accuracy, availability, honesty and integrity.

We look forward to working with you.

Give us a call so we can get started today!



We are committed to helping our clients learn more about their tax options.

Follow us on Facebook to see all of our tax, news, info and tips.

Tax News


Social Securtiy Update

| Q: I'm doing my taxes. Are my Social Security benefits going to be subject to federal income tax?

A: Generally speaking, that will depend on your total income. The higher your income, the more taxes you'll pay on your benefits.

Here's how it works: If you file as an individual and your combined income — by this, Social Security means adjusted gross income and nontaxable interest plus one-half of your Social Security benefits — is below $25,000, your benefits won't be taxed at all. If income is between $25,000 and $34,000, up to 50 percent of your benefits may be subject to tax. For income of more than $34,000, up to 85 percent of your benefits may be considered taxable income.

If you and your spouse file a joint return with a combined income below $32,000, your benefits are out of reach. For income between $32,000 and $44,000, up to 50 percent of benefits may be taxable, and up to 85 percent if combined income is more than $44,000.

For more information, go to Social Security's website.

Q: How much money does the federal government collect from taxes on Social Security, and what happens to that money?

A: In 2012, Social Security beneficiaries paid a total of $45.9 billion in income taxes on their benefits. The Social Security Trust Funds, from which benefits are paid, received $27.3 billion, while the Medicare Hospital Insurance Fund (HI) got $18.6 billion.

These deposits accounted for 3.2 percent of the year's income for the Social Security Trust Funds and 7.7 percent of the income of the HI trust fund.

Community: Share your fears about Social Security. Join the Discussion

Q: Is it possible to get the government to withhold taxes from my Social Security benefits?

A: Yes. Call Social Security at 800-772-1213 and ask for IRS Form W-4V. Or get the Voluntary Withholding Request form online. The form will give you four choices as to how much money you want withheld from your monthly payments: 7 percent, 10 percent, 15 percent or 25 percent. The withholding may make it easier for you to pay your taxes when April 15 rolls around each year.

Stan Hinden, a former columnist for the Washington Post, wrote How to Retire Happy: The 12 Most Important Decisions You Must Make Before You Retire. Have a question? Check out the Social Security Mailbox archive. If you don't find your answer there, send an email to the Social Security Mailbox.



(A revision was issued in 1970, but it made no changes in the existing policy.) This changed for the first time with the passage of the 1983 Amendments to the Social Security Act. Beginning in 1984, a portion of Social Security benefits have been subject to federal income taxes.

Please reload

bottom of page